|21. January 2010
Constitutional outreach process suspended?
Minister of Constitutional Affairs on Thursday, 21 Jan, dismissed reports that the constitutional revision outreach process intended to garner the views of a broad cross section of the public on the document had been suspended due to bickering among the governing parties and funding shortages. The state-controlled Herald newspaper reported that feuding over the naming of rapporteurs for the outreach process had led to its suspension. The government has set October as the deadline for completing the process before elections which some believe could be organized in 2011.
Constitutional Affairs Minister Eric Matinenga told VOA that the committee managing the process has paused to attend to administrative and financial issues, but said it is not true that process has been suspended. He said a meeting has been set for next Tuesday to resume work. Co-Chairman Paul Mangwana of the Parliamentary Select Committee for the Constitution, a lawmaker of the former ruling Zanu PF party of President Robert Mugabe, told VOA he was misquoted by the Herald.
(VOA Studio 7)